Sunday, September 30, 2007

How Bicycling Change My Life - Looking toward Future (Part II)



The Phily race was the last race I've done in 2007 - actually I've done only 2 races this year. I have to admit doing collegiate races just don't fit my schedule at all. I don't have the luxury of time to do consecutive race weekends in places which take 7-8 hours of driving. The only way to get around this is to do USCF races, but then there are only a couple of them around Pittsburgh, and I won't be able to get club support, such as transportation. This means I'll have to buy a car.

Several factors come in the decision of how to prioritize my goals as well. I still need to perform my primary duty well enough, so that I can find a job which can support my racing, preferably in US. Now why do I want to stay in US? I believe to fully develop my racing potential, I need to be in a place where racing system is more structured. And I am less likely to find a job in sports medicine back in Taiwan, too.

As people I've known at my age are getting married or at least have girl friends, I also wondered if I am an oddball for not doing the same. It's not that I don't enjoy the company of an attractive girl, it's just that I don't think things will go well from the types of girls around me - so why bother wasting the time? I've learned this from my pursuit of a law school girl. At first I really thought I might be able to work something out between time spending with the girl and riding, but then in the end it's just too much for me. And I also consider myself as I guy who have problem managing my time well, so before I can take care of myself better, I don't think I am good for anyone.

Considering these, my first objective for 2007-2008 is to attain my master degree in Sports Medicine. I should, and only if I get my thesis completed, be able to continue for PhD in Pittsburgh. I will then get a car, which will give me more options in terms of racing.

Nevertheless, as I see to the future, I can picture myself continue training and racing my bikes. I wish I could ride up the Alps in my 90s, or at least be like the guy below.

3 comments:

mobo said...

Thanks for sharing the experiences of ur life, and encouraging an anonymous person like me.

Anonymous said...

dear bro,
i think it's just the right girl hasn't show up yet. you'll see...

licker said...

Yeah, I'm still a single oddball, why not~~