Wednesday, June 17, 2009

First Crit that I Finish


Manny(the one in green) - A dedicated racer, who shows up on most Oval races. Too bad he is not allowed to leave home for hours to do road races. /_\

Race name: 2009 ACA Summer Criterium Series

Date and start time: 06/16/2009; 07:00 pm

Location: Washington Blvd Cycling Oval, Pittsburgh

Type/distance: 0.5 mile banked Cycling Oval; 35 laps in total

Competitors to watch: Jeff - 40+ guy with solid performance

Weather: 78 degF, hot and humid

Course condition: good

Race goal: Finish the race safely

Race strategy: Try to start at the front and stay at the top 1/3rd. Advance to the front whenever possible

Pre-race meal:
1300 - 1 Pop-tart (210 kcal)
1400 - 1 Swiss Miss hot cocoa (120 kcal)
1500 - 1 Pop-tart (210 kcal)
1700 - 4 Hammer gels (360 kcal) and 1 bottle of Cytomax (180 kcal)

Mid-race meal :
A couple of sip of water

Warm-up description:
20 min Endurance Miles
8 min Tempo (2 min Recovery)
2X 2 min Power Interval (2 min Recovery)
Endurance Miles for the rest of the time
Total 56min

Start-line arousal level(1-5): 5

Results: Middle of the pack

Power files start/end point: 57"09/1'39"49

What I did well:
1. Staying at around top one-half to 2/3rd
2. Moving toward the front whenever there's an opening seems to help me stick with the group

What I need to improve:
1. Sticking with the wheels in front of me at the corners - I felt as if I was going to run into the rider in front of me, so I let a gap open
2. Don't get too close to the marshals - I was alone at the front when the race started
3. Save enough energy for the last 5 laps

Aches/pains/problems afterwards:
None

Comments on or description of how race developed:
I left from work about 4:30 pm and arrived at Oval about 5 pm. I did the warm-up as described above. At the beginning of the warm-up, I noticed that my left calf felt tight, but I was hoping that it would go away after warm-up. As mentioned above, I ate a lot of food in the afternoon, but when the race began, I felt hungry again. Perhaps I should have another pack of gel next time.

Owing to the experience last time, I decided to start at the very front. And I was right behind the marshals for the first 5 neutral laps. Unfortunately, I found myself alone at the front once the marshals left - I was too absorbed in staying on their wheels that I didn't realize that. I soft-pedaled and let the others catch up, but they came at speed faster than I thought, and I lost ground quickly. But I advanced whenever there's an opening at the outer lane, and got to the front in a few laps. My position wasn't great, though. I felt I was relying on passing on the outer lane too much that I was trapped in the middle quite a few times. One thing I noticed that I did a lot was when I advanced, I moved up to the top 3-4 riders and rode alongside. After a while, I merged into them, but my position didn't last long. Soon more people passed by, and the whole process started over again. On one hand, I felt moving toward the front contantly help me stay away from trouble, but on the other hand, I think I used up too much energy in doing that. Another thing I noticed was that I couldn't stay on a wheel very well in the corners, becuase I felt I was going to run into the rider in front of me. I wasn't sure if it's my imagination or truth, but it seemed like the riders in front of me slowed down in the corner.

Once we reached the last 5 laps, the whole field picked up the pace again. At this point, I saw the person I was supposed to stay with - Jeff - moved to the front. I tried to catch up, but my left calf muscles felt like they were going to cramp, so I stayed back. It's interesting, though. During Tour of Tucker County race, it was my right calf muscles giving me the trouble, but it was my left ones this time.

I couldn't do much for the last 5 laps, but I am glad I finished my third crit since I started racing in one piece and with the main group!

Forgot I didn't have my May 5th Oval race report posted, so I post it below:

ace name: 2009 ACA Summer Criterium Series

Date and start time: 05/05/2009; 07:00 pm

Location: Washington Blvd Cycling Oval, Pittsburgh

Type/distance: 0.5 mile banked Cycling Oval; 35 laps in total

Competitors to watch: None - first time doing the race and don't know anyone

Weather: 50-60 degF, pouring rain

Course condition: slippery

Race goal: Stay with the group

Race strategy: Stay near the front at the beginning of the race, and advance to the front whenever possible

Pre-race meal:
1630 - 1 Pop-tart
1730 - 1 Cliff bar and 3 Hammer gels

Mid-race meal :
A couple of sip of water

Warm-up description:
3 3-min Speed Interval
Endurance ride (150-200 Watt) for the rest of the time
Total 50min

Start-line arousal level(1-5): 4

Results: DNF

Power files start/end point: 57"25/1'38"11

What I did well:
1. Got a fairly good paceline going with 3 other guys
2. Prepared for the rain

What I need to improve:
1. Need to get closer to to the wheel in front of me

Aches/pains/problems afterwards:
None

Comments on or description of how race developed:
I got to the race site fairly early, and I'm glad I did, because it was a full field that evening. Some people got turned away because they arrived late.
I warmed up in the oval for about 30 min, and the women's race started. I continued my warm-up on my trainer. It started to pour when the women's race was about to end. By the time we got on the course, it was raining really hard and the ground was slippery.

The first 5 laps were neutral laps, and I was about in the middle of the pack. When the race really started, I was surprised at how people were driving the pace even though the weather was poor. I soon started to suffer. I think the main reason is that I didn't hold on to a wheel well enough, and wasted a lot of energy. I was getting really nervous from the slippery course condition. Although I was riding my commuter bike instead of my race bike, I don't think it would make much difference.
After a few laps, three riders and I were dropped, and we started a paceline to try to get back to the main group. However, despite our best efforts, we were losing ground, and got lapped. We tried again, but the speed of the main group was too much for us, and we got lapped for a second time. By this point, we all got exhausted, and just rode easily for the last few laps.


Chris (the one in blue) has been helping promoting bike racing in Pittsburgh for quite a long time - what a great guy!


Race marshals (wearing yellow vests) are experienced riders volunteering to lead the neutral laps and keep the race safe. Thanks guys!


Oval has four corners which are banked, so you could pedal through the corners most of the time. Also, a few girls have been racing with guys, like the one in the photo. They are pretty good.


Can't help noticing this guy's - beard! I think his beard grows to about his chest level now. I wondered how much drag that produces? ^_^

No comments: