Sunday, July 19, 2009

Flexibility in Positioning is the Key

Race name: 2009 ACA Summer Criterium Series and picnic

Date and start time: 07/14/2009; 07:00 pm

Location: Washington Blvd Cycling Oval, Pittsburgh

Type/distance: 0.5 mile banked Cycling Oval; 35 laps in total

Competitors to watch: Rob and John

Weather: 70 degF, cool

Course condition: good; crack is still there on the Washington Blvd side

Race goal: Follow Rob or John to get a placing

Race strategy: Save energy until the last 3 laps

Pre-race meal:
1300 - 1 Pop-tart (210 kcal)
1400 - 1 Swiss Miss hot cocoa (120 kcal)
1500 - 1 Pop-tart (210 kcal)
1700 - 4 Hammer gels (360 kcal) and 1 bottle of Cytomax (180 kcal)

Mid-race meal :
A couple of sip of water

Warm-up description:
1X 2 min Power Interval (2 min Recovery)
30 sec Speed Interval
Endurance Miles for the rest of the time
Total 1 hour

Start-line arousal level(1-5): 5

Results: Finished in the middle

What I did well:
1. Got better position for the final sprint - I even passed a few riders
2. Skipping the 8-min tempo during warm-up seemed to be a good idea

What I need to improve:
1. Ability to generate high power for 2-min or more - good for prime hunting and closing gaps
2. Get more comfortable moving through the pack
3. Timing for sprint
4. Sprint power - I think I haven't been doing this training for a while

Aches/pains/problems during or afterwards:
Left leg starting to cramp on the last lap.

Comments on or description of how race developed:
This race was back to the usual format - 30 laps with 5 neutral laps. I stayed near top one-third for the first few laps, but when the bell rang for the first prime, John got ahead for almost one-fourth a lap, I was falling behind just by trying to keep up with the people chasing John.

After the huge effort and being chased down by the pack, John positioned himself further down the pack, but after a while, he went near the front and contested in most of the prime laps. I think Rob was doing the same as well. In contrast, I was wasting too much energy trying to stay near the front all the time. So, I need to learn when to fall behind to rest and when to move up to contest for a prime or position for the sprint.

Near the last 7 laps, I could see people were slowing down to get prepared for the final sprint. I used the opportunity to move to the middle of the pack, but found it hard to go forward any further. To do so, I would have to generate more power and get less shielding from the wind. Nevertheless, I was able to keep my position and participate in the sprint. I even passed a few riders! Finally, some progress!

# John Cotter is wearing Polka-dot today - has he been changing jerseys at every race as to not become a marked rider?

No comments: